Welcome!

Greetings traveler! You have just stumbled upon the travel blog of the very handsome Odysseus and his merry men. We will be documenting our adventures in this blog. We hope that you would enjoy reading this blog, and that you might even be encouraged to follow in Odysseus's footsteps and kill some monsters.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Hard-Headedness, Hunger on Helios Hyperion's Home

Re: Eating Helios's cattle - We had no choice.


"Listen to what I say, my companions, though you are suffering evils. All deaths are detestable for wretched mortals, but hunger is the sorriest way to die and encounter fate. Come then, let us cut out the best of Helios' cattle and sacrifice them to the immortals who hold wide heaven, and if we ever come back to Ithaka, land of our fathers, presently we will build a rich temple to the Sun God Helios Hyperion, and store it with dedications, many and good. But if, in anger over his high-horned cattle, he wishes to wreck our ship, and the rest of the gods stand by him, I would far rather gulp the waves and lose my life in them once and for all, than be pinched to death on this desolate island."
Eurylochos, The Odyssey of Homer, by Lattimore ~ Book XII, 340 to 351

Eurylochos' Journal: The Cattle Ordeal 
(Translated by Javier Gamboa)

Just when I thought I had made it out alive of yet another horrifying jam, praising the gods that I was one of 'resourceful' Odysseus' followers who escaped the Sirens, Charybdis and Scylla with my life, out of the blue, misfortune strikes again. As our ship neared the shore of Helios' beautiful isle, Thrinakia, for once, I actually believed that I would finally make it home to magnificent Ithaka, that I could settle down after more than a decade of facing life-threatening episodes with 'thoughtful' Odysseus. Fate just loves proving me wrong.

Docking at the Sun God's beach, we could hear the sound of cattle mooing, and this was music to our ears. 'Food, glorious food!' I exclaimed in my head, salivating at the thought of feasting on sumptuous cows. However, Odysseus, our oh-so-fearless leader, was quick to interrupt our fantasies, forbidding us from even touching these cattle because, according to the warnings of Teiresias and the sorceress Circe, they were sacred to Helios and tasting their luscious meat would spell doom for us all. In retrospect, this was a rational restriction, and Odysseus was wise to address us before we could do anything stupid. Unfortunately, out of intense hunger and desperation, none of us were of the right mind, and we were all outraged. As Odysseus' second-in-command, I took it upon myself to answer for his men, and with much bitterness in my heart, I spoke against my superior, "Odysseus, how could you be so heartless? Why not allow we who are battered and who have experienced many a treacherous trial to have just one night to feast on a hearty meal while we have the chance, as disaster could strike us at any moment?" He replied, moaning about how he is but one man against all of us, which was evidently a means of gaining sympathy from my all-too-easy-to-sway fellows. Then, he made us pledge to eat the food Circe provided us in the cows' stead, which, I believe, was a distraction to keep our minds off the cattle. Despite this very apparent diversion, my companions, who only think of their present needs and not those that they will need in the near future, were quick to swear their oaths. Though I, with my great powers of foresight, predicted that this would be problematic in a few days' time, I could not go against the majority without making several enemies, and reluctantly swore the oath.

Days passed and we devoured our bounty from Circe's ever-generous hands, meanwhile, the South Wind continued to blow, indicating that we'd have a strong breeze to take us home. But as days flew by, our supplies were steadily depleted, and in no time there was nothing left of our resources, my predicted fears coming to fruition. I wanted to tell Odysseus 'I told you so', but I didn't want to anger a hero who was so beloved and favored by the gods. That would be an incredibly stupid move on my part, so I just kept this thought to myself, grinning with satisfaction for actually foreseeing something 'godly' Odysseus didn't. With no options, we then resorted to hunting birds and fish, but these weren't enough to satiate our collective hunger. Slowly, our stomachs' yearning for food grew louder and louder, and when famine had reached its inevitable climax, that was the last figurative straw. I had no choice but to defy Odysseus or die of starvation.

So, when Odysseus went away to sleep, I addressed the community saying, "Brethren, there is no worse death than by hunger. Join me in feasting on Helios' cattle, and if we ever reach Ithaka alive, we will build a grand temple for the Sun God. But if the gods are infuriated by our sacrilegious actions, and we are fated to die before arriving at our homeland, so be it. At least we die still with some dignity." Plagued by hunger, my companions agreed, and we slaughtered the best of the cattle, guzzling down each individual animal like it was the first meal we had eaten in a century. It was utter bliss. When Odysseus returned, he was flabbergasted at what he saw, mouth agape as we gobbled the remains of the slaughtered creatures. Upon seeing him, fear rapidly formed in our hearts, and not wanting to be the one responsible for enraging him, we blamed one another. Thankfully, Odysseus said that there was no point in pointing fingers, as the deed was already done. Relieved, I let out a sigh of relief and clapped by hands together, thinking I was off the hook. Again, I didn't know how wrong I was.

After six days of eating cattle, totally neglecting the fact that we were forbidden from this, we embarked on a journey to return home. Just our luck, the winds chose this day to stop blowing, obviously the gods' handiwork, signifying their aggression at our monstrous deed. Just when we thought things couldn't get any worse, lightning bellowed from the sky, waves clashed, and our ship was shattered to pieces. We, every single one of us, were indeed lost to the harsh ocean due to our own idiotic and reckless decision, Odysseus the only survivor. I guess it was only a matter of time before years of effort would be rendered moot in one moment of obliteration.

How am I able to write this despite my apparent demise? Let's just say that even the suffering souls of the underworld keep journals. What do I take away from this tale of foolishness? Never, EVER defy the gods. And when you're told not to do something, obey and don't do it. Because if you do, it will cost you dearly, and I experienced that first-hand. 

Another thing I realized was how insignificant I was. Though I had the makings of a great hero, and maybe could have become a leader in my own right, destiny did not plan this for me, as only Odysseus was fated to triumph and be honored for all time, while we, the dozens of followers whom he had to step on to get to the top were engulfed by death, never to be spoken of again. Tough luck.

I wonder... if I am so irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, i there still a point in continuing this journal? Perhaps. Not much to do down here anyway.

Image Source:
http://www.rbhs.w-cook.k12.il.us/litfinal/helios.htm

4 comments:

  1. Odysseus here showed a lot of self-restraint/control because he did his best not to eat the cattle even if they were always right in front of him. Unfortunately, his companions were sneaky and they ate the cattle while Odysseus was gone. Oh well. I think this part showed a bit also that Odysseus was beginning to get less and less liked by his men, leading to this betrayal (although it's not really a betrayal compared to some other stuff).

    - Sean O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Javi: What else can I say? You put a lot of personality and commentaries from the perspective of the character. You have a wide range of vocabulary. Maybe you could have focused more on 'Why they did it even though they already knew the consequences?' Also, since this is one of the last ones you could have focused on Odysseus not at fault but his men's fault and Why he was grieving even though he knew it wasn't his fault when they were all gone. But this is a very good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anaxagary: I regret this so much! We knew it was gonna happen to us, why did we have to be so desperate? But what else can we do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Eurylochos, this is Adolf. Remember me? I was the one with 7 kids (my poor seven kids oh wait they're dead too). I actually never got to that point... because I got eaten (it smelled really bad in there)! I agree with you, I don't like Odysseus, especially for what he did to me, but it seems like here he was the smart one. Sorry. But who am I to be saying this? I was never in your situation...

    - Adolf

    ReplyDelete